PROCLAMATION NO. 13/1995
A PROCLAMATION TO ESTABLISH THE SECRETARIAT OF THE HOUSE OF PEOPLES' REPRESENTATIVES AND OF THE HOUSE OF THE FEDERATION OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA
WHEREAS, it has become necessary to establish the secretariat of the House of Peoples' Representatives and of the House of the Federation of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
- Short Title
In this Proclamation
1) "the House of Peoples' Representatives" means the House of Peoples' Representatives of the Federal Government established pursuant to Article 53 of the Constitution;
2) "the House of the Federation" means the House of the Federation of the Federal Government established pursuant to Article 53 of the constitution;
3) "Speakers" means the Speakers respectively elected by the House of Peoples' Representatives and the House of Federation pursuant to Article 55(19) and 62(11) of the Constitution.
1. The Secretariat of the House of Peoples' Representatives and of the House of the Federation (hereinafter referred to as "the Secretariat" is hereby established as an autonomous organ having juridical personality.
2) The Secretariat shall be accountable both to the Speaker of the House of Peoples' Representatives and to the Speaker of the House of the Federation relative to matters falling under their respective jurisdiction.
4. Powers and Duties of the Secretariat
The Secretariat shall have the following powers and duties:
1) to provide secretarial services to the organs of the Houses;
2) to arrange for halls required for the general assemblies of the Houses and for the meetings of their various Committees;
3) to see to it that the minutes, decisions and documents of the organs of the Houses are recorded and kept properly;
4) provide library, research and information services to the organs and members of the Houses; prepare draft legislation subject instruction from the concerned organ;
5) to follow up the publication and circulation of periodicals and newsletters issued by the Houses;
6) to cause services of cordial reception to be extended to visitors to the Houses;
7) to won property, enter into contracts, sue and be sued in its own name;
8) to perform such other duties as are conducive to the fulfillment of the activities of the organs of the Houses.
5. Organization of the Secretariat
The Secretariat shall have:
1) a Head to be elected by the House of Peoples' Representatives; and
2) the necessary staff.
6. Powers and Duties of the Head of the Secretariat
1) The Head of the Secretariat shall, subject to general directives from the Speakers, direct and administer the activities of the Secretariat.
2) Without limiting the generality stated in sub-Article (1) of this Article, the Head of the Secretariat shall:
(a) exercise the powers and duties of the Secretariat specified in Article 4 of this Proclamation;
(b) employ and administer personnel of the Secretariat in accordance with the Federal Civil service laws;
(c) prepare, and submit to the Speakers, the annual budget and work programme of the
Secretariat, and implement same upon approval;
(d) effect expenditure in accordance with the approved budget and work programme of the Secretariat;
(e) represent the Secretariat in all its dealings with third parties;
(f) prepare, and submit to the Speaker, reports on the activities and financial accounts of the Secretariat;
(g) perform such other functions as are assigned to him by the Speakers.
3) The Head of the secretariat may delegate part of his powers and duties to subordinate officials and other employees of the Secretariat to the extent necessary for the efficiency of the Secretariat. However, in case of delegation to an official to act in his absence, for more than thirty (30) days, prior approval by the Speakers is required.
The budget of the Secretariat shall be approved by the House of Peoples' Representatives.
8. Books of Accounts
1) The Secretariat shall keep complete and accurate books of accounts.
2) The Secretariat's books of accounts and financial documents shall be audited, annually, by the Auditor General.
9. Effective Date
This Proclamation shall enter into force as of the 19th day of October, 1995
Done at Addis Ababa, this 19th day of October, 1995
NEGASO GIDADA (DR.)
PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA