WHEREAS, it is necessary to help the rural poor have access to basic social services, and to raise their income generating potential through the provision of economic infrastructure and services;
WHEREAS, to this end, it is found necessary to expand the Ethiopian Social Rehabilitation Fund, initially established on a pilot basis, into a country-wide programme;
WHEREAS, it is necessary to create an organ for the implementation of this programme and for the suitable management of a bottom-up approach of project identification, formulation and implementation;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
3) to promote a community-based approach in project identification,
preparation, implementation, administration and maintenance;
4) to assist in the formation and development of self-sustaining micro finance institutions provide credit services to the poor;
5) to assist grassroots organizations and communities develop their technical and managerial capabilities in all aspects of project activities.
3) Organize community-training programmes to enhance the participation capabilities of grassroots community organizations and communities in all aspects of project activity;
4) encourage women to participate in all project activities;
5) own property;
6) enter into contracts;
7) sue and be sued in its own name;
8) perform such other activities as are necessary for the attainment of its objectives.
(b) a Central Office;
(c) a General Manager, a Deputy General Manager and the necessary staff.
2) In each Region:
(a) a Regional Steering Committee;
(b) a Regional Fund Office;
(c) a Regional Fund Office Manager, a Deputy Manager, as required, and the necessary staff.
6. Members of the Board
2) the Head of the Regional Affairs Sector of the Office of the Prime Minister ............Member
3) the Minister of Finance………………....Member
4) the Minister of Economic Development and Cooperation......................Member
5) the Minister of Water Resources..........................Member
6) the Minister of Agriculture .......................Member
7) the General Manager of the Fund ............Member & Secretary
(c) approve the annual financial report;
(d) determine the salary scales for personnel;
(e) secure the cooperation of Regional and, appropriate, Federal government organs for the efficient and smooth implementation of the Fund's overall activities;
- decide on other policy matters of the Fund.
8. Meetings of the Board
3) Decisions of the Board shall be made by a simple majority vote of the members present. In case of a tie, the Chairman shall have a casting vote.
4) The Board may adopt its own rules of procedure.
3) prepare and consolidate the annual budget and work programme of the Fund and submit same to theBoard.
4) monitor the budgetary and work programme implementation as well as the financial operations of Regional Fund Offices and ensure their compliance with the Operational Directives of the Fund;
5) effect expenditure in accordance with the budget approved for the Central Office;
6) review replenishment requests from Regional Fund Offices and forward same to financing sources;
7) undertake, and effect payments for, foreign purchases;
8) prepare and submit to the Board quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports on the activities and financial situation of the fund;
9) manage the overall capacity building, training and research programmes of the Fund;
10) forward to the Board policy proposals on the Fund;
11) oversee the execution of the Fund's activities.
3) Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the General Manager shall:
(c) effect expenditure in accordance with the budget approved for the Central Office;
(d) represent the Fund in all its dealings with third parties at the level of the Central office;
(e) delegate his authority to employees of the Central Office where found necessary for the efficient performance of the Fund's activities.
11. Members of the Regional Steering Committee
A Regional Steering Committee shall have the following member:
2) the Head of the Social Development Sector...... Member(s)
3) the Head of the Economic Development Sector....... Member(s)
4) the Head of the Planning and Economic Development Bureau....................Member(s)
5) the Head of the Finance Bureau............................ Member(s)
6) a Representative of the branch of thethe Commercial Bank of Ethiopia or of the Development Bank of Ethiopia.......................... Member(s)
7) Representatives of Civic Organizations............... Members(s)
8) the Manager of the Regional Fund Office............. Member & Secretary
3) approve the semi-annual and annual reports of the Regional Fund Office on physical implementation and financial situation;
4) decide on project proposals and plans recommended by the Regional Fund Office as well as on other issues relating to the implementation of the Fund's work programme for the Region.
3) Decisions of the Committee shall be made by a simple majority vote of the members present. In case of a tie, the Chairman shall have a casting vote.
4) The Committee may adopt its own rules of procedure.
3) appraise sub-project proposals submitted by applicants and forward same to the Regional Steering Committee ttogether with its recommendations thereon;
4) make arrangements for the implementation as well as for the necessary monitoring and handover of projects to beneficiaries;
5) put project funds to proper use;
6) prepare, and submit to the Steering Committee, semi-annual and annual financial and physical implementation reports, and forward same to the Central Office upon approval by the former;
7) give access, to the Central Office, to any financial and project records;
8) prepare replenishment requests as per the Operational Directives and submit same to the Central Office for processing;
3) Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Manager shall:
(c) effect expenditure in accordance with the budget approved for the regional Fund Office;
(d) represent the Fund in all its dealings with third parties at the level of the Regional Fund Office;
(e) delegate his authority to employees of the Regional Fund Office where found necessary for the efficient performance of the Fund's activities in the Region.
3) The budget shall be utilized in conformity with the credit and grant agreements under which contributions have been made.
(b) operating costs.
The Fund shall have its own procurement and disbursement procedures as provided for in its Operational Directives.
21. Transfer of Rights and Obligations
The rights and obligations of the Ethiopian Social Rehabilitation Fund are hereby transferred to the Fund.
22. Duty to Cooperate
Any individual, government organs and private organizations shall have the duty to cooperate with the Fund in the execution of its activities.
23. Effective Date
This Proclamation shall come into force as of the 13th day of February, 1996.