PROCLAMATION NO. 254/2001
A PROCLAMATION TO AMEND THE FEDERAL COURTS PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS, it has become necessary to further amend the Federal Courts proclamation;
NOW, THEREFORE, in accordance with Article 55(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, it is hereby proclaimed as follows:
1. Short Title
This Proclamation may be cited as the “Federal Courts (Amendment) proclamation No. 254/2001”.
The Federal Courts proclamation No. 25/1996 (as amended) is hereby further amended as follows:
1. Article 18 of the Proclamation is deleted and replaced by the following new Article 18:
“18 powers and Duties of the presidents and Vice Presidents of the Federal High Court and first Instance Court.
A) The president of each Court shall:
1. represent the Court; without prejudice to the powers and duties entrusted to the Judicial Administration Commission, place, as well as assign and administer judges of the Court pursuant to the delegation and in accordance with directives given by the President of the Federal Supreme Court.
2. administer personnel of the court pursuant to the delegation and in accordance with directives specified under Article16(3) (A) of the Proclamation:
3. cause the preparation of statements, supported by statistical data, regarding the activities of the court;
4. prepare and submit to the president of the Supreme Court the work plane and budget of the Court and implement same upon approval;
5. cause the selection of instructive judgments and decisions of the year, and submission of same, to the President of the Federal Supreme Court;
6. submit, to the President of the Federal Supreme Court, periodical reports on the activities of the Court;
7. perform such other duties as may be entrusted to him by law.
B/ the Federal High Court and First Instance Court shall have their respective Vice-President.
C/ The Vice-President of each court shall:
(a) serve in the president’s stead in the absence of the president;
(b) discharge other duties as may be assigned to him by the president.
2) Article 23(3) (c) is hereby deleted and replaced by the following new Article 23 (3) (c): “23(3)(c) any criminal cases falling under the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court”
3) Article 24(3) is hereby deleted and replaced by the following new Article 24(3):
“24 (3) without prejudice to Article 14(2) of the proclamation, Federal Courts at any level may hold circuit hearings in any Regional Administration, on falling under their jurisdiction when this is found necessary to render efficient administration of Justice”
3. Effective Date
This Proclamation shall come into force as of the 6th day of July 2001.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 6th day of July, 2001.
NEGASO GIDADA (DR.)
PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA