These Regulations are issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to Article 5 of the definition of powers and duties of the executive organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 4/1995.
These Regulations may be cited as the “Mass Media Training Institute Establishment Council of Ministers Regulations No. 19/1997.”
“Minister” means the Minister of Information and Culture.
1) The Mass Media Training Institute (herein after referred to as “the Institute”) is hereby established as an autonomous training institution having its own legal personality.
2) The Institute shall be accountable to the Minister.
The Institute shall have the following objectives:
1) With a view to enhancing the social, economical and cultural development of the Ethiopian peoples, produce mass media personnel who will play active and constructive role in creating free, democratic and informed society; equip the professional with various skills in order to enable him fulfill this task effectively and fully;
2) to provide education that fully develops the personality and strengthens the respect for human dignity, by promoting mutual respect, understanding, friendship and tolerance free from ethnic, nationality, sex, religious and other prejudices;
3) to create mass media personnel that are equipped with the history and culture of the Ethiopian peoples and also have free, democratic and open relationship with peoples;
4) to provide education that will cultivate the versatility of mass media personnel in general and the journalist in particular; to consolidate the profession and ethics of journalism as well as to inculcate the dignity of work;
5) to conduct research and studies on the different fields of the mass media and disseminate fruitful results thereof.
The Institute shall have the following powers and duties:
1) to train practicing journalists and other mass media personnel working in government and non governmental institutions as well as new students, in accordance with the educational policy of the country;
2) to confer academic certificates and diplomas;
3) to organize and conduct seminars, workshops and symposium;
4) to establish relations with domestic and foreign institutions and other organizations having similar objective;
5) to issue directive on the capacity of the training institute, its assessment and evaluation methods and certification;
6) to study and implement ways on consolidating the Institute with trained manpower and appropriate technology;
7) to change full or partial payment for the services it renders,
8) to own property; to enter into contracts; to sue and be sued in its own name;
9) to carry out other activates as are necessary for the attainment of its objectives.
The Institute shall have:
1) a Board;
2) a Director and an Assistant-Director;
3) an Academic Council; and
4) appropriate number of employees.
1) The Institute shall have a Board consisting of seven members.
2) Members of the Board shall be appointed by the Minister drawn from among pertinent institutions and members of the society.
The Board shall have the following powers and duties:
1) to ensure the activities of the Institute in accordance with the objectives of the Institute:
2) to initiate administrative policy, and implement same up on approval of the Minister;
3) to approve the academic policy of the Institute;
4) to prepare and submit to the minister the directive of the Institute which regulate its administration and implement same upon approval;
5) to determine the organization of the Institute, to devise ways on how to consolidate and expand the institute;
6) to appoint a Director and an Assistant-Director to the Institute;
7) to determine conditions under which the teaching research, production and engineering staff of the Institute shall be employed and administered;
8) to approve the plan and draft budget in consultation with the Minister;
9) to fix and determine fees and charges to be paid to the Institute;
10) to issue directive on the recruitment of students and trainees;
11) to scrutinize and endorse agreements reached with domestic and foreign counter-part institutions and other organizations having similar objectives.
1) The Board shall meet regularly once in a month.
2) The Board Chairman or at least two members of the Board may request for an emergency meeting at any time.
3) There shall be a quorum where half of the members are present at meetings.
4) Decisions of the Board shall be passed by a majority vote provided, however, that the chairman shall have a casting vote in case of a tie.
5) Without prejudice to the provisions of this Article, the Board may issue its own rules of procedure.
6) The Board shall have its own secretary.
1) The Director shall be the Chief executive officer of the Institute and shall, subject to the general directives of the Board, direct and administer the activities of the Institute;
2) Without limiting the generality of sub-Article (1) of this Article, the director shall have the following powers and duties:
(a) to implement the powers and duties bestowed upon the institute;
(b) to employ and administer those engaged in teaching, production, engineering, training and research activities in the Institute in accordance with the directives issued by the Board following the basic principles of federal civil service laws, and fix their salary and allowance upon the decision of Board, and employ and administer other administrative staff of the Institute in accordance with federal civil service regulations;
(c) to submit to the Board the annual work programme and budget of the Institute and implement same upon approval;
(d) upon approval by the Board sign all agreements and Contractual documents on behalf of the Institute;
(e) to represent the Institute in all its dealings with third parties;
(f) to open and dispose bank accounts on behalf of the Institute, in accordance with the budget and work programme approved;
(g) to submit reports to the Board the activities of the Institute every three months;
(h) to attend meetings of the Board;
(i) to perform such other duties as may be given to him by the Board.
3) The director may partially delegate his powers and duties to other officials and employees of the Institute to the extent necessary for the efficient performance of the activities of the Institute.
1) The Assistant-Director shall act as Director in the absence of the Director. He shall then direct and coordinate the activities of the Institute.
2) The Assistant-director shall perform such other duties specifically given by the Director.
The Institute shall set up an academic council accountable to the Board which shall be composed of.
1) a Director of the Institute ………………………………. Chairman
2) an Assistant-Director of the Institute……………………. Member
3) The registrar ………………………………………………. ”
4) a student representative elected by the students …………… ”
5) A teacher representative elected from the
permanent academic staff ………………………………….. ”
6) Not more than three faculty members elected
by the Board ……………………………………………….. ”
The Academic Council shall have the following powers and duties:
1) to prepare and submit the academic programme and academic calendar of the Institute to the Board;
2) to determine on the conferring of diplomas, certificates as well as prizes and submit same for approval to the Board;
3) to formulate criteria for admission of students and trainees, determination of academic standards, and disciplinary rules and submit to the Board and implement same upon approval, to hear and decide complaints of these matters;
4) to formulate the general guidelines of the nature and methods of examination.
5) To prepare and submit to the Board criteria for promotions in academic rank for approval;
6) To examine and decide on the list of students who are going to be promoted to the next level;
7) To issue its own rules of procedure governing the conduct of meeting;
8) To perform such other duties as may be given to it by the Board.
The budget of the Institute shall be drawn from
1) Budgetary allocations by the Federal Government;
2) Fees collected by the Institute; and
3) Any other sources.
1) The Institute shall keep complete and accurate books of accounts.
2) The accounts and financial documents of the Institute shall be audited annually by the Auditor General or by auditors designated by him.
These Regulations shall enter into force on the date of their publication in the Federal Negarit Gazeta.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 5th day of September, 1997.